Monday, April 6, 2015

I'm ready to go home...

This should be my Easter post full of pictures of my sweet babies and that will come but tonight's post is going to be a little different! As I type, Justin is on his way to the hospital to probably say one final goodbye to his grandma. The doctors say it could be anytime now. She hasn't been in good health for a while and had just recently been moved to a nursing home until she took this turn for the worst. Justin's dad called us yesterday and told us how bad it had gotten. Justin's brother and his wife were here in town so we all took off to the hospital.  One hospital room with 1 patient, 16 visitors, and numerous nurses and doctors in and out made for an exciting visit. His grandma was awake and aware that we were there. She was even able to call us all by name...even the five great grandkids! At one point during the visit, it ended up just being the 9 of us and one of Justin's aunts in the room. I was talking to her while Jason & Ashley tried to control all our kids! :) I looked over and Justin was talking with his grandma and I could tell he was crying. I later found out that she was telling him that she knew she was ready to go home now.  What I didn't know was that Justin had a part in her knowing for sure she was saved! Several months back, she was in the hospital and wasn't doing good. I knew Justin had gone to see her one time without me but I didn't know until last night what happened during that visit. Justin is not one to talk about salvation with others! I truly believe he is a believer but he doesn't talk about it with others. He'll get there one day! However, during this visit, they were talking and Justin just flat out asked her if she was saved. To look at the life she'd lived...most would guess she wasn't.  But who are we to judge??? She told Justin that day that she was...but I believe something happened between that day and yesterday to make her know she's now ready to leave this Earth! And I really think Justin had something to do with that!! Why would she bother telling him again that's she was ready if she'd already told him before??? Those words she spoke to him yesterday gave him an indescribable peace about the whole situation. He no longer has worry about where she is spending eternity!! She even asked if we would pray with her. She actually asked Jason, Justin's brother, and he didn't want to, so I agreed to do it for him. We all gathered around her bed and held hands and just prayed for her.  None of her sons were in the room. It was just one daughter-in-law and our two families. Not many people have their grandchildren and great-grandchildren gathered around their bed praying for them as they prepare to leave this Earth! It wasn't how we had planned to spend our Easter but it was so rewarding. Most people know Justin's dad and know he's never had much of any kind of relationship with Justin. Justin's parents divorced when he was 9 months old. I can probably count on my hands the number of times we've been around his dad. We did use to go play bingo with his grandma on Friday nights! That was a unusual "date" for high schoolers! It was quite fun though! And I can tell you, his dad has only seen Emma & Evan three times in their entire life. Part of me feels guilty for not reaching out to him more and part of me is just mad that he doesn't care! I just can't comprehend how you just aren't part of your children's lives. But again...that's not my place to judge. He's the one missing out! But anyways...back to my topic! We've been studying about being intentional with our time on this earth in bible study! I've really tried to grasp onto that and make the most of the time we are given. We've started reaching out to others in hopes of maybe one day witnessing to them or just trying to witness to them through our lives and the fruit we bear.  There is so much hatred, and jealousy, and ugliness in this world...that we need to be stand apart from! We are called to be the light in the darkness or rather to share the light in the darkness! Because if we don't the whole Easter story and what Jesus did to save all of us would have been for nothing!  He died for us...the least we can do is live for Him!!

P.S.- They did take a picture of Justin and Jason standing beside her bed with all of the kids! I'd hoped to be able to share that picture but Jason has it on his phone and hasn't sent it to Justin yet. I'll get it thought!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment